SHINE Reading Plan: Go here.
Subscribe to SHINE emails: Go here.
As my husband and I raise teenagers, our constant prayer plea is this, "Lord, please give us WISDOM."
God's Word tells us that true wisdom only comes from God.
We can search wordly books, talk shows and podcasts for wisdom in parenting, but true wisdom will only be found in God's Word.
Situations arise daily that I find myself asking again....Lord, I need wisdom here. I do not know what to do. What is the right thing? What honors You?
If you have children of any age, you probably are asking the same questions.
Here are some things that Lem and I have done over the years. I hope it encourages you as you journey through the trenches of parenthood. Let me say, we are still majorly in the trenches. So, we are not experts by any means. Clearly.
[IT IS SO HARD TO BE A PARENT. Can I get an amen?]
1) Admit that you do not have all the answers. (Proverbs 3:5)
2) Admit your weaknesses to the Lord in this area. (2 Corinthians 12:9)
3) Seek God's Word. DAILY. (Matthew 7:7)
4) Seek God in prayer. CONSTANTLY.(1 Thessalonians 5:16)
5) Listen for His answer. (Proverbs 2:1)
6) Be still. Try not to jump on a bandwagon because other parents are doing it. Wait and hear from the Lord first. Just because it may be okay for their child to do something, does not mean it is okay for your child. Be still. (Psalm 46:10)
7) Seek out wise parents that have walked the path you are on. (Proverbs 15:22)
8) Ask for a heart of humility. Pride can eat us up if we are not careful. NOTHING is worse than the fall from pride. (trust me on this one!) (Proverbs 16:18)
9) Do life with fellow believers. Create community with those around you. You will learn so much just from doing life with others. (Psalm 133:1)
10) Walk the walk, and not just talk the talk. Ooh. This one is the hardest. (trust me again.) Often, what our children learn is "caught", and not "taught". This will take every ounce of the ones listed above to help you. You will still fail at times, and you will get right back up and keep persevering. (humility, remember?) (1 John 2:6)
Lem and I are still working on all of these things. Every day brings new challenges it seems. Sometimes every moment! (my blonde is quickly turning gray)
However, we have a Helper. We have a Counselor. We have a Teacher.
His name is Jesus.
We are not alone on this journey. He called us to this mission....perhaps the holiest and hardest mission of all.
He has equipped us to do the work.
He will finish it to completion.
gray hair and all,
SHINE Reading Plan: Go here. Subscribe to SHINE emails: Go here. Memory Scripture: If you are faithful in little things, you will be f...
Today's Reading: 1 Samuel 18 Happy Fun Friday, SHINE girls! So, David has finally entered our reading. Oh, David. David, David, Davi...
Please post your prayer requests and/or praises on this post. We have SHINE intercessors lifting you up daily. If you want to be a SHINE pra...
Today's Reading: Numbers 11 & 12 Happy Fun Friday, SHINE girls! It's been a good week, so let's end it on a really GOOD...